Women’s National Team Head Coach
Dani is one of the few elite athletes to participate in 3 different skating disciplines at the highest levels of competition. As a speed skater, she participated in the Pan American Games in 1987 and was part of the World Team representing the U.S. in New Zealand in 1989, Colombia in 1990 and Belgium in 1991, same year when she also participated in her second Pan American Games in Cuba.
After a successful switch to roller hockey, she continued competing at the highest level and became an essential part of the World Team that represented the United States at the FIRS Roller Hockey World Cup in Portugal in 1994, Brazil in 1996, Argentina in 1998 and Germany in 2000.
A few years later, Dani decided to cross into yet another discipline, this time as part of the Oly Rollers, the first women’s flat track roller derby team in Olympia, WA. After being accepted as a member of the WFTDA in 2008, the Oly Rollers went straight to the top in legendary fashion to win the 2009 WFTDA National Championship. In 2010, in Chicago, where Oly was the runner up, Dani Lewis was named Most Valuable Player of the WFTDA National Championship. During the next years, Oly was consistently ranked as one of the top 3 teams in the nation, taking second place at the WFTDA National Championships in 2011 and in 2012.
In 2011, Dani Lewis was part of the team that represented the United States at the first Blood & Thunder Roller Derby World Cup in Toronto, where the team took first place.
In 2012, the Oly Rollers earned the title of USARS National Champions at the first ever USARS Roller Derby National tournament and successfully defended their title in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
In addition to her remarkable athletic achievements, Dani Lewis also has extensive experience coaching other athletes in both speed skating and roller derby, including coaching two Speed Skating National Champions, Tannah Elwess in 2007 and Gabreila Charneski in 2011.
Women’s National Team Assistant Coach
One of the most dominant athletes in modern roller derby comes to the National Team to share her experience and amazing skills as Assistant Coach. As an athlete, she has been a force on the track since 2007, when she joined the Jet City Rollergirls from Everett, WA. Later on, in 2009, she transferred to Rat City Rollergirls and established herself as one of the most recognized and iconic players in the world. She briefly went back to Jet City in 2012, before moving to her current team, the Oly Rollers, where she has played since 2013 and has contributed to 3 of the 4 USARS National Championships for the squad from Olympia. Re-AnimateHer is also one of the founding members of the high-profile Team Legit Banked Track team and the Michigan AllStar team MittenKittens.
Mater, as she is commonly called, has many years of experience coaching and training athletes all over the world. Since 2013, she has been the Head Coach of the Rainier Roller Girls, a team from Seattle, WA. who placed 5th at the 2014 USARS National Championship. She has also coached the Rat City Rollergirls at all levels, the Tilted Thunder Railbirds on the banked track, the Hula Honeys from Jet City Rollergirls and PFM Roller Derby. During her vast career, she has run beginner/intermediate and intermediate/advanced clinics, and bootcamps for both co-ed and female categories, including:
- Hellfire Harlots – Nottingham, UK – Mini-Bootcamp – March 2011 and Sept 2013
- London Rockin Rollers – London, UK – Sept 2013
- Seaside Sirens – UK – Sept 2013
- Queens of the Sin Bin – Bootcamp – Wales UK – Sept 2013
- River Rat Roller Derby – Clinic – Michigan – March 2012
- Tokyo Japan – Bootcamp – 2012
- West Kootenay Women’s Roller Derby League – 2-day Strategy Bootcamp – April, 2011
- CWRDA – VictorIa – Bootcamp – 2011
- Apple City – Wenatchee, WA – Mini-Bootcamp – June, 2011
- Rat City Rollergirls – All-Star Bootcamp – October, 2011
- Sk8 Heaven 2011 – Northampton, England – October, 2011
- Hellfire Harlots – Nottingham, UK – Bootcamp – October, 2011
- Victoria Roller Derby, North Brisbane Rollers, Sun State Roller Girls and Coastal Assassins Roller Derby
Melbourne, Australia – Bootcamps – November, 2011
- Port Scandelous – Port Angeles WA – Mini-Bootcamp – March, 2011
- LA Derby Dolls – Los Angeles – March, 2011
- Rodeo City – Ellensburg WA – Mini-Bootcamp – March, 2011
- CWRDA Kelowna – Bootcamp – 2010